A Good Real Estate Letter is the Real Deal

It seems like I've written at least a couple of hundred real estate letters over the last year. So, it may surprise you when I say "I hate writing letters." Writing for me is a stomach knotting, finger tightening, forehead creasing, gut wrenching experience. I guess that's why I avoid writing them as often as I do.

However, there's one good thing about the tortuous experience of writing letters and that's this...I love what a good real estate letter does for my business. A good letter generates leads that can be leveraged into paying customers, customers who buy, sell and rent real estate. Nothing has had as big an impact on my real estate business as has a single, but well written letter.

Estate

I wish I could say that my letters are magical, but they aren't. However, what I've come to realize is that somewhere along the way of becoming good marketer is that I learned the formula for letter writing success. Specifically, the letters are not about how good I am, but rather a reflection of how well I address the needs of the readers.

Real Estate Letter to Sellers

For example, most sellers want to sell their homes as fast as they can and for the most money they can get. So, my letters to them tend to emphasize the things that I do to effectively market their real estate; networking with agents known for always having buyers, spelling out the unique ways I'll market their home (e.g., market to grad students, college professors, physicians, investors, law enforcement personnel, fortune 500 company employees, etc.).

I tell them the things that they want to hear and then deliver on what I promise. I also sell them on the idea that I'll be available to them 24/7, while secretly hoping that they don't call at 2:00 AM. But just between me and you I'd be okay if they did.

Real Estate Letter to Buyers

On the other hand, letters to buyers emphasizes finding them a good deal, no matter how long it takes. Of course you want to sell buyers homes as fast as you can, but you have to respect the fact that they'll be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, so a little patience is in order.

The difference between rushing a buyer into a home after only 2-3 three days of looking verses 2 weeks of looking before they find the perfect home is HUGE. In the first instance they'll know that you're all about you and that your main goal is to make a sale. However, in the second example they're likely to think that you have their best interests at heart and are therefore good candidates for a lifelong relationships...and referrals.

Capturing A Readers Interest

Summarily, an effective real estate letter captures a readers interest and compels them to action. It starts with an attention grabbing opening line that makes them stop and actually think about what you have posed. That's followed by a solution to their proposed expressed as a teaser. To get all of the specifics of your solution will require them to pick up the phone and call you.

But when it's all said and done I still hate writing letters, but I love what they do for my business.

A Good Real Estate Letter is the Real Deal

Need some proven real estate letters? Then visit Real Estate Marketing Talk to learn more about the ones I use.